Posted on: May 11, 2016
More than a Mouthful on Chipped, Broken, and Fractured Teeth
While teeth may be solid and strong, they can easily become chipped, fractured, or broken. Learn what you should do when faced with chipped, fractured, or broken teeth.
Causes of the Concerns
A variety of circumstances can lead to chipped, cracked, or broken teeth. Depending on the dental damage, you may have some degree of pain or difficulty chewing. The common causes of chips, fractures, and breaks in teeth include:
- An accident or fall that injures the face
- Biting down extremely hard on a food or solid substance
- Worn-out fillings that no longer support tooth enamel
- Sudden, strong hit in the face, mouth, or jaw
- Severe dental decay from cavities that make the tooth very weak
Treating Fractured Teeth
Luckily, your family dentist can easily fix chipped, broken, and fractured teeth. The type of treatment prescribed will depend on the degree of damage.
Damage types and treatments typically consists of the following:
- Tiny cracks – Minor surface cracks that affect only the tooth enamel and can be polished away by your family dentist.
- Bigger cracks – A deeper fracture that affects the entire tooth down to the nerve and eventually spreads. Cracked teeth typically call for a crown to keep the crack from worsening, but may require a root canal if the nerve is damaged.
- Chipped teeth – These don’t always need treatment, but can be easily repaired by your family dentist, if desired.
- Broken teeth – These types of breaks only affect the pointed chewing surfaces of teeth. Your family dentist will usually fix the break with bonding or a crown.
- Bad breaks in teeth – When you experience severely broken teeth, the tooth’s nerve is often painfully exposed and the area starts to bleed. The typical treatment is a root canal.
- Decay-induced breaks – Severe tooth decay can cause teeth to crumble or break. Your family dentist will need to review the degree of decay and will either repair the cavity or remove the tooth.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates of Maryland today at or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Maryland, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Maryland.