We are open - safety is our top priority!
Essential Tips for Dental Emergencies
At one time or another, you may suffer an accidental injury, perhaps involving one or more teeth. Knowing how to respond in a dental emergency is critical, and may be the difference between preserving and losing the teeth that have experienced trauma. Taking the time to learn how to react in the face of common dental injuries is one of the most valuable things you can do. Just about every dentist in Baltimore keeps time open during the day to address dental emergency cases, but if you are unable to find an emergency dentist on short notice, seek help at the nearest hospital emergency room.
- If you have a toothache, start by rinsing your mouth with warm water followed by gently flossing to dislodge any food debris. Aspirin or other pain relievers should never be placed directly on the affected tooth or gums, since it may cause burning. If the pain does not go away, promptly schedule an appointment with an affordable dentist in Baltimore.
- If a permanent tooth gets knocked out, see an emergency dentist as soon as possible. Until you can get to the dentist, keep the tooth moist right from the beginning. Try to place the tooth back into its socket, being careful to avoid the root. If that fails, try holding the tooth between your inner cheek and gums, or soak it in milk or a commercial tooth preservation product.
- If a tooth gets cracked, it is important to rinse your mouth with warm water and then apply cold compresses to limit swelling.
- If something becomes stuck in one of your teeth, try to dislodge it by flossing. Never attempt to remove debris with a sharp, pointed implement. Instead, see an emergency dentist for treatment.
- If you bit your tongue or lip, carefully clean the area with water and apply cold compresses to minimize swelling and discomfort. Then, visit an emergency dentist in Baltimore or go to the emergency room.
- If you think you may have a broken jaw, minimize swelling with cold compresses, and make sure you get emergency dental care or go to the emergency room right away.
Although it is important to know how to deal with a dental emergency, it is better to prevent one from ever happening by using protective mouthpieces when playing sports, never chewing on hard candy, popcorn kernels, or ice cubes, and always using scissors for cutting—not your teeth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates of Maryland today at or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Maryland, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Maryland.