We are open - safety is our top priority!
Dentures at the Dinner Table – Tips for Successful Eating
Eating is an important part of life for many reasons. It keeps you healthy and helps you connect with friends and loved ones. Losing your teeth dramatically affects your eating habits and limits what foods you can enjoy. Fortunately, you can reclaim most of your favorite foods with affordable quality dentures. Many people hesitate to get dentures because they think they may not be able to enjoy their former diets. Despite initial challenges during the adjustment period, there is no need to worry. Once you are accustomed to your dentures, eating will be a breeze.
Here are five tips to help you make the transition.
- Eat soft foods like eggs, fish, cooked vegetables, and ground meats when you first start eating with dentures.
- Gradually add chewy and crispy foods as you gain confidence.
- If food seems to be less flavorful, don’t worry—your sense of taste will improve as you get accustomed to your dentures. While you’re adjusting, try adding herbs and spices to enhance flavor.
- Cut foods into smaller pieces and eat smaller portions.
- Distribute the pressure more evenly on your dentures by chewing half of the food in your mouth on the back-right side and the rest on the back-left side.
Even the best dentures may need a little help from a denture adhesive to keep your dentures in place, increase the force of your bite, and help protect your mouth from trapped food particles and bacteria. Unless you have permanent dentures attached to implants, you may be concerned about the risk of your new teeth slipping or falling out while you’re eating. Denture adhesives can help to prevent these embarrassing problems. Ask your dentist to recommend the best adhesive products for your dentures, and make mealtimes worry-free.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates of Maryland today at or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Maryland, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Maryland.